Print this page in Adobe Acrobat Format
Are you my mommy?
related activity is the Take
Home Lab - What are some traits in your family?
STANDARD 3200-04 Students will understand reproduction and heredity
OBJECTIVE 3200-02 Recognize and explain how certain traits are
passed from parents to offspring.
Intended Learning Outcomes:
- 2d. Collect and record data using procedures designed to minimize
- 2g. Construct models and simulations to describe and explain natural
- 4d. Recognize the personal relevance of science in daily life.
- 6d. Construct tables, graphs, charts, diagrams, and models to describe
and summarize data.
Information on how to construct a pedigree chart. (provided below)
- Students will interview family members and select a specific inherited
trait that is present in the family.
- Student will construct a personal pedigree chart.
- letters / phone calls to relatives
- colored construction paper
Students, be sure to follow all teacher
1. Student will interview family members and select a specific inherited
trait that can be shown on a pedigree chart (left-handedness, hitchhiker's
thumb, tongue rolling, color blindness).
2. Student will construct a family pedigree chart showing immediate and
extended family members. Use a square for a male, circle for a female.
Prepare a key to show symbols for the trait.
3. Student will write a paragraph explaining the selected trait and the
(Students, who are adopted or do not know relatives, could do a pedigree
for a classmate.)
4. Sharing and discussion follows as students present their own pedigree
Visit the Utah
State 7th Grade Integrated Science Core Curriculum Page.
14, 2000 by: Glen
Science Home Page
| Curriculum Home Page | Core
Home Page | USOE Home Page
Copyright © by the Utah
State Office of Education.